E kore e ngaro, he takere waka nui.
We will never be lost; we are the hull of a great canoe.
E ngā kaihoe o te kaupapa, tōia mai tō waka ki Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha!
Applications are now open for the Takere Academy at Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | University of Canterbury.
Takere is a free, six-week scholarship and live-in academy programme offered over the summer months between December 2021 and February 2022. Takere Academy is inclusive of ongoing tailored support and assistance, including needs based subsidised accommodation at a UC student hall, throughout a recipient’s first year of university study.
The scholarship includes:
- $1,200 stipend, paid as a fortnightly allowance of $400, during the Takere Academy (6 weeks).
- Takere Academy, inclusive of free catered accommodation in a student hall of residence, for six weeks to assist the transition to university life.
- Ongoing tailored support and assistance, including needs based subsidised accommodation at a UC student hall, throughout a recipient’s first year of university study.
- Guidance for whānau of recipients on how best to support their child at university
Recipients will also:
- Participate in a fees-free 15 point 100-level UC paper which could contribute to their degree as part of the Academy, along with social and cultural activities.
- Receive ongoing support through engagement with UC Māori and Pacific mentors along with dedicated, and tailored support from a Kaiurungi Māori or a UC Pacific Advisor from Te Waka Pākākano | Office of the Assistant Vice-Chancellor Māori, Pacific and Equity throughout the academic year.
- Be given the opportunity to participate in the UC Māori Leadership Programme, Paihere or Pacific Mentoring Programme.
Applications are due by 15 August 2021.